As you research and create at Virginia Commonwealth University, it’s important to the commercial potential of your work.
Successful commercialization of your discovery or invention can lead to useful products, processes or services such as advances in medical technology. It can also benefit society, as well as generate revenue for you or your research laboratory.
VCU Innovation Gateway provides guidance throughout the process.
- IP protection: Applying for patents, copyrights and trademarks so you can protect your intellectual property
- Validation: ;Determining which aspects of your invention are most viable to sell in the marketplace
- Licensing: Pairing you with licensees who will translate your IP to the market so the public can benefit from it
- Industry connections: Introducing you to industry partners interested in your area of research or your technology; helping you manage this relationship through collaborative research
- Startup facilitation: Deciding if your innovation is the right fit for a new venture or commercial development and connecting you to advisers, mentors and funding sources
- Funding searches: Finding funding opportunities for your invention
- Education: Teaching you more about intellectual property, commercialization, entrepreneurship and startup creation